Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Strangers In The Night

There is more to this odd, non romantic encounter at dusk than meets the eye at first glance: a "strangers in the night exchanging glances meeting"at the edge of my woods  Sometimes in nature's way species that don't mean to mingle do just that, but that mouthful of 50 teeth tells only part of the tale. What you can't see clearly is a small mass of black with a raised tail that the opposum is having a hissy chat with. (Note the black form on left side of picture) And you can't see the white stripe down  the back of that critter. Living in a semi-rural area is full of wildlife adventure: I had just finished slashing brush to open an old pathway in my woods to prepare for cross-country ski season. I think my activity stirred up either the opossum or the skunk and one or the other moved about and encountered the other. When I walked back down the path to inspect my work and gather tools I heard noise in shrubs next to where I was last working and saw the two circling each in a potential mutual destruction showdown.  I ran back to the house for the camera, walked back, took one photo, backed up and watched. Lest you wonder, the skunk blinked first and wandered off without spraying. Towards me.  I left.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

lol!! great little story!

October 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Opposum looks scarey enough with those teeth showing, but then throw in the skunk.......you are one gutsy guy for taking that photo! Great picture though!

October 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. I enjoyed the last two sentences. Says a lot with four little words! You never know where adventure awaits. Amy

October 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home