Thursday, February 3, 2011

When squirrels go wild: Questionable cohabitation shenanigans!

photo by Jonathan Schechter

The setting: Dodge 4 State Park on the shore of Cass Lake. 
 Before you read another word look at the expressions of the squirrels.
 The bottom one is pretending she is busy chewing on a nut. And the top guy is doing one of those, "If I don't move and look at you, then you don't see me", the same sort of attitude a nervous teen in a group might take when a Sherrif's Deputy asks questions.

Well, let me tell you squirrels something: I watched you long enough to take this picture and had about a 10 second eye-full of your nutty interspecies shenanigans on a tree limb.

And here is the rest of the story! The upper limb squirrel, (Mr.You Don't See Me) is a fox squirrel, while (Little Miss Innocence) on the lower limb is a gray squirrel. And what you can't see in the picture is a hole in the side of the oak tree between the two of them. Both of them;  let me spell that out, 
 B O T H squirrels emerged  togeather and scampered off to seperate limbs like they did not even see each other. Trust me. They did.

 I see one of three scenerios.

1. Everything is innocent and they are sharing a tree hole for cuddle warmth.
2.  They are not cuddling but sharing the tree hole for nut storage.
3. They are interspecies friends - very close friends - and don't give a shake of their furry tails what others may think.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very very funny! I think it's number 3........I mean everybody needs someone to love, right! You go Mr. & Miss Squirrel (oh, and how do you know she is not a Mrs Squirrel?).

February 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've fed these squirrels jars of peanut butter in the 4 lb. jars so they can get at it better since Dodge #4 does not have lots of nut bearing trees, just acorns.

February 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM 
Blogger Pat said...

I have about a fifty-fifty mix of black squirrels and fox squirrels in my yard. And let me say, I've seen more than one of these critters at my feeder who sport a solid black body -- and a brown tail! Hmmm, who's your daddy?

February 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home