Thursday, June 28, 2012

INTRUDER OSPREY!


PHOTO BY JONATHAN SCHECHTER,  JUNE 22, 2012
KENT LAKE, KENSINGTON METROPARK  SE. MICHIGAN

My invitation from the Michigan DNR to document the banding of osprey chicks in this nest led to a surprise photo, an intruding male osprey swooping in low and fast at the nest of a female osprey with three chick huddled low among the sticks.  He was not her mate.
Here is what happened.
About an hour before the project started I drove to a roadside vantage point to look over the lake and see if I could spot the osprey. I did.  There was something of a commotion of osprey chatter in the air. The osprey in the nest and  one flying overhead seemed restless.  Another observor told me that there had been an intruder osprey in the area.
I zoomed in on the nest with my hand held camera and just as I focused I noted a blur of motion.
I managed one click and made the capture.
Lesson learned: Expect the unexpected in the world of nature and keep the camera ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home