Friday, August 27, 2010

A Breakfast of Raw Fur Covered Flesh

With the taste of autumn in the air and the flavor of a Spanish omelette still lingering on my taste buds I watch one of my favorite birds at the feeder. And I am not talking about some cute little seed-pecking chickadee or delicate nectar-sipping hummingbird.  Every now and then I scoop up a road-killed groundhog or pancaked squirrel or putrid opossum and lay out my meaty offering on an elevated platform in my meadow. And today is just like any other day when the vultures come about. These magnifcant birds that soar on rising thermals over I-75  land to feast on the flesh, for that is their way. You have not watched the wonders of a bird feeding until you watch a turkey vulture insert its naked red head into a body cavity to start another day of fine dining. Nature is grand. Eat on my friend!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon Appetit!

August 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home