Sunday, March 20, 2011

On The First Day of Spring----A prayer of thanks from a squirrel.


This is a photo of the squirrel that begs from deer --and talks to me.
His message/prayer is below. (photos by Jonathan Schechter)


A prayer of thanks from a slightly rotund  female fox squirrel

"On this first day of spring I want to thank the guy that lives in the old yellow house on the
 hill (Hey!That's me the squirrel is praying about!) for being something of a slob and spilling lots
 of bird seed and corn all winter. I never once had to dirty or break my nails digging  for a buried
walnut. Just take a look at my nails, clean and manicured, I can hold cracked corn-- or pray.  And that means back to prayer. I offer thanks that big coyote found a field full of plump and juicy mice.  And if anyone cares, I am also the one that told the coyote about the feral cats next door: I think he ate them too; I'm glad, the cats no longer bothered me at the bird feeder on the cold snowy days.
Maybe that's why the coyote did not eat me: Safety for information exchange. He got to eat cats and mice, I got to live. Not a bad exchange.  Oh yes, I also want to thank the  rabbits that did not eat the young acorn seedlings about 150 years  ago. They had a chance to grow tall, good places for my leafy nests. And I want to thank that  guy (me again) for sometimes leaving the old garage door open just a bit too much. I snuck  in a  few times and hung out in the rafters with my new squirrel friend guy.And here is a secret: I think I feel my belly stirring, got to build a bigger nest!  Almost forgot, also want to thank the deer that usually visit at night when I am asleep, but sometimes come in the day, butt against the feeder and knock more goodies to the ground. I suvived winter!
Life can be good for a squirrel on the first day of spring.
WAIT WAIT--WHAT'S THAT?----oh no! Nuts!  
....I just saw a shadow overhead--It's a hungry red-tailed hawk and I am too chunky to run fast.
This could be it for me on the first day of spring. But maybe I can duck under the deck and
have a new season of adventure on a hill top in Brandon Twp.

NATURE'S WAY IS FULL OF SURPRISE
 STAY TUNED FOR SPRING ADVENTURES IN EARTH'S ALMANAC


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story to start Spring!

March 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM 
Blogger Pat said...

Very lighthearted writing Jonathan! I think I enjoyed this article more than any of your others. (And I enjoy them all!)

March 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is a chunky little girl, isn't she, lol.

Fun read Jonathan!

March 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, as usual. tp

March 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home