Sunday, June 26, 2011

Turkey Vultures Get Wet Too - and can clue you to directions.

Note the turkey vulture in the background.
photo by Jonathan Schechter

When clothes are wet you can hang them out to dry. When backpacking and I get soaked and the
rains stop I will try to find a sunny area to let warming rays hit my back and work their magic.
It's the same for turkey vultures. 
Just a few minutes after steady rains ended one of the three turkey vultures that frequent my
 meadow landed on a dead tree limb and spread wings wide, positioned to capture the sun.
I could use this turkey vulture as a living compass, for it was late afternoon and the back
side of the wings were facing west to the warming sun.  
 I steadied the camera on the tractor and zoomed in~! 
The red head is  characteristic of the turkey vulture.
photo by Jonathan Schechter

2 Comments:

Blogger Ulanawa said...

Wonderful shot!!! They are such an impressive bird to encounter.

June 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM 
Blogger Jonathan Schechter said...

Not an original comment Ulanawa, but in flight they are "poetry in motion"
One of my favorite birds--especially when hiking in the Appalachian Mts, and every once in a while I see when soaring beneath me.

June 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home