Saturday, July 3, 2010

Camping on the 4th of July

If I had my way today I'd be camping in the ancient mountains of North Carolina above a clear cold stream with a canopy of stars and fireflies and a smoldering campfire.  Or I'd be more than happy to pitch a tent in the sultry lowcountry of South Carolina within earshot of high tide waves in the land of the massive loggerhead sea turtle and dangling Spanish moss. If it turned out to be that dawn brought sunrise filtering through my tent flap in the spruce-scented mountains above Sante Fe that would be just perfect too, as would be falling asleep in the Sonoran Desert to the yip of coyotes or on Isle Royale to the howl of wolves. For me, the 4th of July is more than a time to salute the uprising of our rebellious colonists against the Red Coats of the British Army; it's a time to embrace nature and wildness and  celebrate our freedom of wide open spaces, public forest and parklands and our ability to enjoy. And what better way than in a tent: 5 Star Freedom for me far from sardine-like crowds and the world of texting and cell phones and concrete madness. Wishing you all a happy and safe Fourth of July weekend from my screened porch in the rolling hills of Ortonville where I sip coffee and type early this morning to the chatter of a house wren and watch a hummingbird sip her first drink of the new day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home