Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hiking Into Surgery

I have been told I have an obsession for hiking.  I tend to deny that and tell friends I just like to hike.
But perhaps the truth is out: Obsession may be the best word, as the post surgery picture in the hospital recovery room tends to document.
Jump back 2 days: I had been instructed to, "Put on your gown and take off everything but your socks." Surgical nurses Jackie, Rebbeca and Marylyn were preping me for  Lala Land so I would be unaware of the surgeon's knife that was about to slice. And just before I "went under" I heard Rebbeca comment, "He's wearing hiking socks."  (Smart woman. She knows her socks!)  And yes I was, for with the knowledge that it would be a week or more before I could stomp about my woods or any woods for my Oakland Outdoors weekly hiking column for the Oakland Press, I went for a quick pre-dawn wander in my snowy woods with my SmartWool socks. And that was before my 4:30 am departure for the hospital. And a few days before that I hiked two trails to have trail fodder ready for this Sunday and next Sunday's columns. Got to keep editors happy. 

So what am I doing now? Wishing I could cross country ski or hike in our winter wonderland of northern Oakland County. That must wait for awhile.  And so today I sit and watch birds peck at sunflower seeds  at my window feeder.  An unplanned adventure of life in this chapter of "Earth's Almanac". And on my feet, another pair of SmartWool socks. The socks of choice for obsessed hikers! (And a pesonal note to friends who know me well: That small cup is filled with coffee! By my request.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! You make even recovery from surgery look like fun. Hope you can get back into the woods soon.

December 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM 
Blogger Firemedic15 said...

Those poor nurses!!! We should have pinned a note to your shirt warning them about you and coffee!!!!!

December 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look very happy, good to see. You even write cute stories when you're down for us to read . Thanks Jonathan.

December 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are up and around soon - and not hurting too bad!

December 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon. I don't want to miss any articles.

December 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, Jonathan!

December 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM 
Anonymous Tummy Tuck San Jose said...

I wish you all the best. God bless

January 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home