Thursday, September 8, 2011

A heated deer bed on a rainy Michigan morning.

photo by Jonathan Schechter

Today was one of those days I am glad my camera was with me even though my short
rainy morning  walk was on my own property.
  I was just about back to my house when I noticed movement.
Something was on last year's leaf/mulch pile.
 I zoomed the telephoto out -wishing I had a tripod to steady the camera - to see what caught
 my attention. Ears pointed out at me. Ears I know well.
 I was tempted to caption this photo, "Deer sits on her eggs." Maybe I will repost this next
April Fool's Day with that very caption. 
But what is actually happening is just awesome.
Decomposing leaves produce warmth.
And if you are a deer on a chilly moist morning in Michigan what better place for a morning nap!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things like this just make me smile. Thanks for posting.

September 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice :-)

September 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM 
Anonymous Sakoieta said...

Interesting photo. It reminds me of what my Elders used to talk about. They said that because the Iroquois were a longhouse people we were always using tree barks to upgrade our longhouses. Much of this excess bark or old bark that was removed was piled just short distances away from our settlements. The deer would often come to feed on this varied source of dietary food and as such they were not "wild" in the same sense that todays hunters look for "wildlife" or deer in the woods. Our people did not have the hight powered rifles like hunters do today and yet we were very conscious about when killing a deer to make sure it did not suffer needlessly and was killed as quickly as possible. I often hear today about hunters creating feeding lots where special food is planted that will attract big bucks. I believe we were the first to do this type of "collective" animal farming in the way we fed the deer and as such had access to good healthy deer for food.

September 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM 
Blogger Jonathan Schechter said...

Sakoieta--thank you so much for your detailed post on the ways of the Iroquios. You add more depth with your words to the ways of the deer--and humans. Jonathan

September 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM 
Blogger Ulanawa said...

Awwww very sweet...and toasty warm!! ;)

September 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

always enjoy reading your blog.

/Jeff in Lake Orion

September 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home