Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Morels & A Gray Treefrog

All photos by Jonathan Schechter
Look closely: Do you see the treefrog?
 Hint: upper right corner!

With just a touch of humidity in the air I wandered down to the edge zone of my meadow, the place were the woodland meets the dogwood shrubs and tall grasses grow and does give birth to fawns. 
The object of my search? Morels! 
And again it was a failure in a very small way: no shrooms.
But it was a wonderful moment in nature's way when I bent low under one more shrub searching for that elusive mushroom of spring. And that's when I noticed something a bit out of place, a shape that did belong and that shape had a moist shine.  The picture above shows the gray treefrog of my meadow (actually one of many that live in my world on my the 11 acres) taking an afternoon siesta. In the first image I did not use the telephoto and noted that the frogs eyes moved every so slightly as I leaned forward ever so slowly.  
"A GIANT TWO LEGGED BEAST IS STALKING ME!
He remained motionless but alert. 
The pictures below were proceeded by the slight noise of the telephone lens extending. 
 "OH NO, IS THAT THE MONSTER'S STICKY TONGUE?"
Were those his thoughts? 
I have no way of knowing, but I'd like to think that this master of camouflage that can change his color from gray to green somehow knew that I meant him no harm.
I bid him farewell and walked back up hill to my home at the edge of his homeland.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home