Thursday, February 28, 2013

Season of the Coyote

Coyote track in my woods after fresh snowfall/ photos by Jonathan Schechter
                                                     
The coyote breeding season is well underway in Michigan. I am delighted at their
 primordial music of yelps and howls I now hear often at night from the far end of my
 woods and the swampland beyond. But my best pleasure comes from seeing the tracks of two coyotes on the land I share with them; a mated pair is my hope for without the presence of
 coyotes the landscape is less natural and less wild. And it is the coyote that keeps the wild in 
the deer, and the turkey and the grouse wary.
And that is the way it should be.


I followed their tracks to the edge of the swamp catching a momentary fleeting glimpse.
And I suspect 'my' coyotes are leaning my ways and wanderings faster than I discover their ways.


2 Comments:

Blogger Slade said...

Glad you are back! It was a week without an update and I was getting "itchy" for my nature fix.

February 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM 
Blogger Jonathan Schechter said...

Thanks Slade, Will try to keep them coming more often!

March 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home